Timorese women making modern cloth pads to sell for a profit and use themselves.
- East Timor is a very poor country
- East Timor does not have very hygienic processes for dealing with used disposable pads- (most rubbish is placed on a pile outside the house and burnt every week or two.)
- Some women have to stay home from school/work while menstruating
- Many women do not have underwear to hold disposable pads in place.
- Many women need a small income to provide basic essentials for their family such as fresh food, medicines, clothing and blankets.
Why should they spend a precious $2+ on pads that get thrown out after one use, when they could buy a re-usable alternative for a similar price that will last many years.